Medicare Hospice Benefit (Part A)
Medicare beneficiaries who choose hospice care as a Medicare Benefit receive a full scope of non-curative medical and support services for terminal illness.
Medicare Covers the Following Hospice Services
- Physician services
- Nursing care
- Medical appliances and supplies
- Drugs for symptom management and pain relief
- Short-term inpatient and respite care
- Homemaker and home health aide services
- Physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech/language pathology services
- Social work service
- Spiritual care availability
- Volunteer participation
- Bereavement services
When a patient receives these services from a Medicare-certified hospice, almost the entire cost is covered by the benefit, and the only expense to the patient is limited cost sharing for outpatient drugs and inpatient respite care.