The Macy Catheter in the Hospice Setting: A Detailed Review and Training Webinar
Date & Time
March 25 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
March 25, 2021
10am-11:30am CT via Zoom
Brad Macy RN, BSN, BA, CHPN
This lecture provides an in-depth look at the Macy Catheter method of medication and fluid delivery.Presented by Brad Macy RN, BSN, CHPN, the inventor and 30-year veteran hospice nurse this lecture will provide a comprehensive review of how, when and why the Macy Catheter is utilized. The lecture will present the evidence base for comparative effectiveness and comfort of the Macy Catheter vs current practice alternatives. A review of common palliative medications and the comparative pharmacokinetics of these drugs given via different routes of delivery will be reviewed. The lecture will include specific training in how to place the Macy Catheter and administer medications and fluids.
- At the completion of this session the participant will be able to describe the Macy Catheter and the clinical, safety and cost benefits of the technology in both the inpatient and home hospice settings.
- At the completion of this session the participant will able to describe the physiology of the rectal, subcutaneous and sublingual medication absorption and the benefits and burdens of these modes of medication delivery.
- At the end of this session the participant will be able to return demonstrate proper insertion of the Macy Catheter and administration of medications through the catheter.
- At the completion of this session the participant will be able to list 5 medications commonly used at the end of life for symptom control and their rectal absorption kinetics in micro-enema form.
- At the completion of this session the participant will be able to describe the evidence base for comparative effectiveness and comfort of the Macy Catheter vs sublingual and subcutaneous medication delivery techniques.
This webinar is $150 for members and $175 for non-members.
No Late Fee!!!
Please use your Medicare ID number for your membership number.
There will be no CE credits for this training.
Registrants will receive the Zoom link and call in information the week of the training.
This is an intermediate level course.
This webinar will be recorded. The recording will not offer CE credits. If you are not able to attend on the day of the webinar, please register like you are attending and MHPCA will send you the recording. Please email email@example.com if you would like the recording.