Hospice Nurses 101 Seminar
Date & Time
August 28, 2020 @ 7:30 am - 5:00 pm
August 28, 2020
Schedule & Speakers:
7:30am – 8:00am – Registration
8:00 am-10:00am – Team Approach & Care Coordination – Robin Carnett, RN, BSN, CHPN
- Identify the team function of the interdisciplinary group.
- Discuss the teams role in working with patients and families.
- Identify qualities of high-functioning team members.
- Provide structure for delivery of care.
- Describe care planning regulatory guidelines.
- Describe contractual requirements.
- Explain need for coordination.
10:00am-12:00pm – Case Management – Shelia Purdy MSN, RN, CHPN
- Review the admission criteria for hospice
- Describe the four levels of Hospice Care
- Describe the role of the RN Case Manager
- Identify the other disciplines that are involved with Hospice and know their role
- Describe the purpose of the IDG and why they meet weekly
- Explain how to properly document against decline
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of the dying process
- Identify ways to deal with difficult patients and families/Non-compliance
12:00pm-12:30pm – Lunch
12:30pm-3:30pm – Pain & Symptom Mgmt./Compounding – Colleen Gilmore, RN, MSN, ANP-BC
- Identify most common symptoms of patients at the end-of-life.
- Apply key hospice regulations in care and services provided to hospice patients.
- Review definitions and etiologies of common symptoms in end-of-life care.
- Outline pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions for common symptoms of end-of-life care.
3:30pm-5:00pm – Boundaries/Psychosocial/Spiritual/Ethics – Greg Volpitto, MDiv & Val Criswell, MSW
- Identify roles and responsibilities of the Chaplain and Social Worker as team members.
- Identify interventions used by the Social Worker and Chaplain.
- Identify issues that arise during end-of-life, including ethical dilemmas.
- Identify self-care and maintaining appropriate boundaries.
The cost for this seminar is $200.00 for members & $250.00 for non-members.
Late fee of $25 after August 9, 2020 and a 35 seat limit.
Nurses CE’s will be an extra $25.00.
Lunch is provided with this seminar unless it is moved to Zoom only.
There are no refunds, however substitutions are welcome.
This seminar provides 8.5 Nursing Contact hours.
This educational activity is joint provided by AXIS Medical Education and Missouri Hospice & Palliative Care Association.
In support of improving patient care, this activity has been planned and implemented by AXIS Medical Education and Missouri Hospice & Palliative Care Association. AXIS Medical Education is jointly accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE), and the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), to provide continuing education for the healthcare team.
Credit Designation for Nursing: AXIS Medical Education designates this continuing nursing education activity for 8.5 contact hours. Learners are advised that accredited status does not imply endorsement by the provider or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with an activity.
For information about the accreditation of this program please contact AXIS at email@example.com.
AXIS Medical Education requires instructors, planners, managers and other individuals and their spouse/life partner who are in a position to control the content of this activity to disclose any real or apparent conflict of interest they may have as related to the content of this activity. All identified conflicts of interest are thoroughly vetted by AXIS for fair balance, scientific objectivity of studies mentioned in the materials or used as the basis for content, and appropriateness of patient care recommendations.
The faculty, Robin Carnett, RN, BSN, CHPN, Shelia Purdy MSN, RN, CHPN, Colleen Gilmore, RN, MSN, ANP-BC, Greg Volpitto, MDiv & Val Criswell, MSW reported no financial relationships or relationships she or her spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this continuing education activity. The planners and managers, Colleen Gilmore RN, MSN, ANP-BC, Crystal Ramsey, Dee Morgillo, M.Ed., MT(ASCP), CHCP, Holly Hampe, D.Sc., RN, MHA, MRM reported no financial relationships or relationships they or their spouse/life partner have with commercial interests related to the content of this continuing education activity.
Participants have an implied responsibility to use the newly acquired information to enhance patient outcomes and their own professional development. The information presented in this activity is not meant to serve as a guideline for patient management. Any procedures, medications, or other courses of diagnosis or treatment discussed in this activity should not be used by clinicians without evaluation of patient conditions and possible contraindications on dangers in use, review of any applicable manufacturer’s product information, and comparison with recommendations of other authorities.
Each attendee will be required to Attend/participate in the educational activity and review all course materials. Complete the CE Declaration form online by 11:59 pm ET September 28, 2020. Instructions will be provided. If you do not enter the online portal by the above date, you will not be able to retrieve your statement of participation. Upon successful completion of the online form, your statement of completion will be presented to you to print.
MHPCA has obtained a special room rate for our participants at the Doubletree Hotel located at 422 Monroe St. Jefferson City, MO 65101 for $121 per night. For reservations call: 573-636-5101 and mention that you need the MO Hospice and Palliative Care Association rate.
MHPCA has obtained a special room rate for our participants at the Capitol Plaza Hotel as well located at 415 West McCarty St. Jefferson City, MO 65101 for $99 per night. For reservations call Candy Nilges at 573-638-2306 and mention that you need the MO Hospice and Palliative Care Association rate.