Hospice Nurses 101 Seminar
Date & Time
August 23, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
7:30am – 8:00am – Registration
8:00 am-10:00am – Team Approach & Care Coordination – Robin Carnett, RN, BSN, CHPN
- Identify the team function of the interdisciplinary group.
- Understand the teams role in working with patients and families.
- Identify qualities of high-functioning team members.
- Provide structure for delivery of care.
- Describe care planning regulatory guidelines.
- Describe contractual requirements.
- Explain need for coordination.
10:00am-12:00pm – Case Management – Kassie Hodge RN,BSN, MSN & Colleen Tali, RN
- Know the admission criteria for hospice
- Describe the four levels of Hospice Care
- Describe the role of the RN Case Manager
- Identify the other disciplines that are involved with Hospice and know their role
- Describe the purpose of the IDG and why they meet weekly
- Know how to properly document against decline
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of the dying process
- Identify ways to deal with difficult patients and families/Non-compliance
12:00pm-12:30pm – Lunch
12:30pm-3:30pm – Pain & Symptom Mgmt./Compounding – Colleen Gilmore, RN, MSN, ANP-BC
- Be able to identify most common symptoms of patients at the end-of-life.
- Apply key hospice regulations in care and services provided to hospice patients.
- Learn definitions and etiologies of common symptoms in end-of-life care.
- Learn pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions for common symptoms of end-of-life care.
3:30pm-5:00pm – Boundaries/Psychosocial/Spiritual/Ethics – Greg Volpitto, MDiv & Val Criswell, MSW
- Identify roles and responsibilities of the Chaplain and Social Worker as team members.
- Identify interventions used by the Social Worker and Chaplain.
- Identify issues that arise during end-of-life, including ethical dilemmas.
- Identify self-care and maintaining appropriate boundaries.
The cost for this seminar is $150.00 for members & $175.00 for non-members.
Late fee of $25 after August 9, 2019 and a 35 seat limit.
Nurses CE’s will be an extra $25.00.
Lunch Is provided with this seminar.
There are no refunds, however substitutions are welcome.
This seminar provides 8.5 Nursing Contact hours.
Upon completion of this course each attendee will be required to complete an evaluation. Each participant will then receive a certificate. Each attendee must complete the entire course to receive CE credits. Certificates will be distributed to attendees upon signing out of the seminar. For any questions or concerns please contact Crystal at email@example.com.
MHPCA has obtained a special room rate for our participants at the Doubletree Hotel, 422 Monroe St, Jefferson City, MO 65101, for $120 including a full breakfast. For reservations call: 573-636-5101 and mention that you need the MO Hospice and Palliative Care Association rate.
MHPCA has obtained a special room rate for our participants at the Capitol Plaza Hotel as well located at 415 West McCarty St. Jefferson City, MO 65101 for $99 per night. For reservations call Candy Nilges at 573-638-2306 and mention that you need the MO Hospice and Palliative Care Association rate.
Missouri Hospice & Palliative Care Association is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Midwest Multistate Division, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Centers Commission on Accreditation.